Thursday, September 24, 2015

Digital Blog #D- Chapter 5




https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8226/8503935499_7c6a61fcc4.jpg


  Photo By: Algot Runeman- Flickr

In chapter 5 the focus is on teaching information literacy and digital citizenship in grades K-12. I think one never stops learning about this stuff because currently in this class I am picking up and learning many things by reading and actually putting to use what is being read which a big part of learning is. In this chapter three concepts that I’m still learning about or found amusing are, The ways the internet is affecting reading, search engines and their dominance, and lastly a super vital one which is plagiarism and cheating.
One concept that was an eye opener for me was the fact that internet is affecting reading. E-books according to the text are books that can be read digitally on a computer device known as an E-Reader. There are also many reading apps that this can be achieved by. The text as well mentioned statistics saying that 40 percent of 1200 e-reader buyers spend more time reading now than ever before with regular books. Another fact was that students improved academically when they began reading from an E book. To me this was crazy. What was even crazier is companies and authors ant to publish books electronically. This is brand new to me, I never realized the market for this was big. Even though this is a big market and students have improved academically, I do not agree with what is happening. I did take time to ponder upon this concept because I do believe in technology especially if it is for the better but I think actually having the physical book is important. I am not a doctor but I think that it is too much technology, and it will affect a child’s vision. Quite honestly I have seen so many more kids with glasses now than ever before. There is nothing wrong with a regular book I think that is something technology doesn’t need to take over. I think that the physical book and being able to learn something without using technology is what I find unique about it.
Another concept I liked was the power of search engines. I want to begin by saying Google. Who has not heard of this search engine? It is the most used search engine worldwide I believe. I always wonder and I am sure I am not the only one, what was life before google? Google is search engine. A search engine is used to receive information from the internet, it accesses this information from data bases. According to the text 90% of adults use search engines to look up information. I agree completely because I use google every single day and I know for a fact that in my high school everyone else does too. This is how we look up information when we need to do a paper or a homework assignment that requires a little outside knowledge. Google I feel is the most successful search engines there is out there. There are other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing. Search engines are what makes the internet so accessible. I think about other ways where one can retrieve information besides books, and search engines are used more. Search engines are there to help collect data that we need.
Lastly, the last concept I think is important for kids and teens to learn and be aware is plagiarism and cheating. Although these things may seem that they are the same but they are not. Plagiarism is directly copying and misrepresenting someone else’s work and making it seem like it is yours. One must give recognition. Cheating according to the text involves using technology to access information without permission before or during a test or sending information about a test to other students before or during exam. I think the most important thing that contribute to high school cheating is incorrect assumptions by students. This means the students plagiarize without realizing.  I believe that this is a huge problem. All my life I have stolen pictures from google and copied and paste little did I know I was plagiarizing. I found out until this year in taking this course. I feel like these type of things need to be taught in high school so students know this information going onto college.  I feel that if a student is taught how to correctly get information most plagiarizing issues will be a lot less.  It is important because hen entering college without knowing this information a student can actually get kicked out of a course, even if they didn’t think it was plagiarizing. It is a serious issue and I feel passionate about students learning correctly how to access information.

Gonzalez, I. (2015, September 24). Kahoot! | Play this quiz now! Retrieved September 24, 2015, from https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/23d56add-732b-42c9-9e56-92aeca20ab8b

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
The punishable perils of plagiarism - Melissa Huseman D'Annunzio (YouTube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrjoaaIxaJI
Google. (n.d.). Retrieved September 24, 2015, from http://www.google.com/

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic use of a properly attributed Creative Commons image and embedded video (though the citation is missing information and proper formatting). It is good to see the 'aha' from students who realize that they've been abusing the rights of authorshilp when using copyrighted images and not getting permission. Love your Kahoot, too! I do think there are many positive impacts of online reading via e-readers. Yes, I still appreciate paper, but the versatility and convenience of digital 'print' makes it so much more used. :)

    ReplyDelete