Thursday, September 10, 2015

Badge #B EME 2040 - Chapter 2


Photo by Jennifer Ludwig - EMAZE
Chapter 2, Understanding Educational Technology Issues and Trends, provides us with information that as a 21st century educators we must know because we can encounter many problems while trying to incorporate technology into the lesson. While reading this chapter three concepts stood out to me the most, the categories Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants, Teaching Philosophy and Lastly Digital Divides and Gaps.
I would like to talk about what digital natives and Digital Immigrants means. Marc Prensky has classified these group based "how children and adolescents develop literacy with technology in ways different from those of older adults." This means if you grew up using interactive computer you are a Digital Native, if you did not you are a Digital Immigrant.  The book provides such a great example of how different these two categories are. The book says that two college students set up a computer by trial and error as where a Digital Immigrant would have to read the instructions. I think this is so fascinating. In my opinion as a Digital Native things are much simpler to understand as supposed to someone who is a Digital Immigrant and is trying to become a 21rst century teacher. I think about how true this is because I have common knowledge on how technology work because I was born into it, however my parents who are Digital Immigrants would have such great difficulty and frustration trying to figure out why the Wi-Fi is not working or setting up a computer or downloading an app or program. Things like that to a Digital Native is easy to understand, the book also addresses the students perspective and teachers actions. The student perspective part explains that basically they achieve their knowledge by their electronic and computer environment. According to the text "They are less inclined to learn using the traditional school-based literacies of book reading and writing on paper." As a high school student that is very true. I rather type something up then write it down, if I am asked to do a presentation I automatically think Microsoft PowerPoint. There is nothing in my mind that tells me grab paper and pencil unless I am solving a math problem. As a teacher I think it is important to understand that that’s how kids function. No student will say they will do a presentation using paper and pencil that is out of the question.

Another concept that was interesting to me is having a teaching Philosophy. Your teaching philosophy determines how one will teach using technology. There are two types of teaching philosophy it’s either teacher centered or student centered. Teacher centered is giving knowledge to students who might not know. This type of philosophy uses scores and grades to determine if the child has learned or not. Student centered "they view teaching as orchestrating different experiences with the students." This philosophy engages students in discussions and results in the student discovering themselves and their skills. As a 21st century educator I would use both philosophies because I want my students to learn my knowledge and give a quick lecture but I want them to engage. Not everything has to be based on scores from test and assignments. I would like to use Blended learning which in my opinion is using both philosophies. I would like to follow the example of P. K. Young Developmental Research School.
 In this school they have been able to integrate technology successfully while still keeping the in class lectures with teachers, but with the way the teachers decided to use the technology is what makes it student centered. I would like my philosophy to be able to reach all kids because every single student is different and an educator needs to be flexible and understanding.

Lastly I have to bring up the concept of digital divides and participation gaps. Educators call it this because the use of technology is not accessible to everyone throughout society. When there are things like kids having no access to new technology this affects or factors into their academic achievement. As a teacher one has to find new ways to help a student so they can really work to their full potential. I am extremely passionate about things like this. I want to teach in a place where I know people really do need the help. For example I work in after school program in the golden gate area which is of low income. Some not all kids, do not have access to internet or computers or technology at home. I believe this definitely limits them and their knowledge compared to a child who does have access to these things at home. I think it is extremely important to find ways to help the student.  A teacher is not just there to stand and give a lecture. A teacher is there to make sure that their students are learning and are working at their full potential and figure out what is one needs to do to make it happen.



Blended Learning: Making it Work in Your Classroom. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2015.

 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on trying FlipQuiz! :) In general, I agree with Marc Prensky's definitions of digital natives and immigrants, but I think the terms got really simplified when ages were assigned. For example, at my ripe old age, I would still be considered a digital immigrant and yet, I actually know/use more technology than many digital natives - I may have to work at it more (i.e., it doesn't come naturally), but I also may use it more purposefully and thoughtfully.

    Regarding attributions, you want to give yourself credit for your own digital tool creations, i.e., FlipQuiz and on the photo at the beginning, you linked to an emaze (which doesn't provide its licensing so might be copyrighted?), but if you click on it you'll get to its original source which is on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictoquotes/15897301418/) and that is how you would want to provide attribution. :)

    ReplyDelete